Pinspiration: lace tipped scarf

Thursday 3 October 2013
I was a bit of a latecomer to Pinterest - I deliberately held out thinking it was just another time waster! I'm a bit contrary like that, I don't Twitter, Instagram or Tumblr, I deleted my Facebook account and I don't have the time or energy for Polyvore (although I like looking at the boards that other people have created). But since succumbing to the allure of Pinterest this year I've become a mad pinner, pinning all sorts of images, tutorials, recipes and things at any spare moment of the day.

But there does come a point when you wonder what's the purpose? Why do you pin all these things? Clearly I'm not alone in thinking this:

image source
image source
image source
Another eternal quest I'm on is to use up fabric scraps in meaningful and useful ways, and not add to the scraps pile after making a project. Which is where Pinterest and the whole point of this post comes from. I spied this beautiful scarf pinned, which is no longer available but was for sale for a ridiculous $1100:
image via styleawip.blogspot.com

After finishing the plaid dress I made from New Look 6144 recently, I happened to have a long rectangular piece of fabric leftover that was too short to be made into an infinity scarf or a normal scarf on it's own, but with the addition of some white stretchy lace fabric from deep within the stash look what I turned it into:


Obviously mine isn't as elegant as the original, because I think the black lace on the beige cashmere is a sophisticated mix and the jagged edge of lace where it joins the fabric is a nice detail but I still like mine nonetheless. The teal plaid fabric of my version is so soft too, almost like flannelette so it's the perfect fabric to be wrapping around one's neck.



And I'm not the only one to copycat this project - look at this lovely green jersey and white lace version that Jen made a while back over at Sea lo que sea.

I just can't bear to waste good textiles and throw away scraps any scraps that aren't tiny, but since I'm not a quilter they certainly are piling up. I'm lucky that I have two small children to sew for because their clothes use up the larger left over pieces, and in the past to use up the smaller fabric scraps I've made:

What's your battle plan for using up fabric scraps? Anyone got any burning good ideas?

And yes Marjorie - I've kept the scraps from my Liberty shirt because they are way to precious to throw away! Thanks everyone for your kind comments on the shirt, it has certainly been on high rotation in my wardrobe.

14 comments:

  1. Blue with white would fit to my coat perfectly ;-) I can't throw away scraps either. I have a special box for them - you never know when you gonna need some scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cut and/or tear them into long strips, tie them together and crochet or knit them into rag rugs or pot holders or baskets or pet beds. That's what happens to scraps that I can't think what else to do with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to everything!! I too have deleted my facebook and have the same questions about pinterest. I've done similar projects to your's. I also put a box together that I fill with my leftover scraps that is the "Kids Box" If they want to be creative on their own they can do whatever they want with the fabric bits in that box.
    I recently heard slicing them into strips and using them for stuffing works too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a much better/easier option for using lace scraps than using them for a bra. I still have to make one...
    Nice scarf Kristy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always make such beautiful things and you are perfectly right when talking about the balence between inspiration and waste of time with all the instead and pins. Admitted my balance is on the waste of time side. Love the someecards, thanks for reminding me to give the making priority. I will practice that over the coming long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your interpretation of this idea. I love the tiniest amount of yellow and blue lace left over, perhaps not enough for this style, but food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty scarf and great idea for scraps.

    I collect them and keep meaning to get them to a special children's' school but after Rhona's visit last Saturday maybe I can use some of it for a Quillow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha love the pinterest cartoons, so true, but there is some good stuff on there. I have quite a few scraps of fabric too good to throw out, I like the scarf idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabric scraps = undies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have given me a good laugh regarding Pinterest. I too held back but now I am addicted. This week I had a meeting with a lady who I had never met regarding a research project I sponsor and she asked if I Pin. I said yes and she said,"I follow you". Wondering why, she told me she loved all the things I loved doing, so we talked non stop about sewing, craft and cooking for our families. We eventually got onto what we were meant to talk about.
    Anyway, I really like your scarf and I am sure this Pin will inspire you with many more scarves.
    I like to use my Liberty scraps for applique, handkerchiefs, facings, purses etc, etc. They are never wasted and somehow, they all seem to co-ordinate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All my small fabric leftovers go to my friend who makes patchworks. *^o^*
    I like the blue fabric you chose combined with white lace. The price of the original scarf is hilarious, who would pay such money?!...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'm going to have to copy this because I have loads of fabric AND lace scraps that would make awesome scarfs for me and Christmas! Thanks for sharing this...I'm late to Pinterest too but I don't spend a lot of time there. However, I do have a lot of commuting time to use for time sucks like these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabric scraps are a big issue for me. I am always on the march to rid my home of superfluous stuff, but the bag of scraps I have no idea what I'll do with is a bit of a thorn in my side. My ruthlessness ends with fabric.

    ReplyDelete