Ridiculously cute. But ridiculous: Ottobre 3/2009 #11 Jeans

Monday 9 July 2012
I've always considered myself to be a rather sensible person, and a sensible and rational parent too.  I've tried hard not to join in the mass consumer culture that is pushed on to new parents, with the wide variety of very expensive items marketed as 'must haves' and instead used a lot of hand me downs, some second hand items and what we bought new we went for the mid priced version and not the rolls royce overpriced items ($2000 prams? $1000 cots? pfft!).  When Anna was a baby I dressed her in pretty but practical clothes with comfort and washability the key factors.

Which is why I feel a tad silly showing you the latest thing I've sewn for Toby.  I made him a pair of itty bitty blue denim jeans - nothing wrong with that of course, except that the pattern I used comes with a fully functioning zipper and fly shield, a coin pocket and belt loops. Seriously, what 3 month old needs a coin pocket?!  The pattern is #11 from issue 3 of 2009:















I came to my senses whilst sewing these, and was too lazy to make the coin pocket, belt loops or fly shield because those little details are seriously fiddly when doing it on such a small scale particularly when unnecessary.  I did make the side pockets and back patch pockets because they wouldn't look like jeans otherwise, and I included a zipper because I wasn't sure if they would pull up over a nappy without a zipper (for the record they do and therefore the zipper was unnecessary).  So I could have saved some time and just top stitched some faux pockets and zipper, but it's done now and they look pretty cute:



I used stretch denim, and it has some buttonhole elastic across the back so the jeans are cinched in nicely above the nappy at the waistline.  I couldn't find any hammer on jeans buttons in a small size, so I cheated and used a plastic snap in orange to match the top stitching thread.


Luckily they fit the little wombat, but for how long is the question given he's gaining a whopping 400g (a bit less than a pound) each week!





And I guess I may not be as sensible as I thought, because you can be sure I'll be making him that cute collared button up shirt this summer too!

24 comments:

  1. If I had kids I'd be doing the same thing. Instead, I'm about to make my dog a coat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Don't toss them when he's outgrown them. Come summer, they can be turned into shorts. :-) Toby looks so much like his sister - which is to say, adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes cute is better than sensible. Enjoy sewing for your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are adorable!!! Count yourself blessed that he's such a good weight gainer. The ones that gain slowly are always a concern to doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The jeans are adorable! (as is the little person in them, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This little wombat is just more adorable every day. Love the jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He does look ridiculously cute in them though. Being sensible is definitely over-rated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can totally see why you couldn't resist making these. I'm childfree by choice, but I am always cooing over the cute adult style children's clothes in shops - such as flying jackets for toddlers and, yes, teeny jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, sensible or not, who cares. They look darn cute on your little man. And combined with a button up he will be a complete killer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sensible? What does that have to do with enjoying your baby? Looking adorable is not the same as selling out to consumer culture, it's just looking adorable! Sew Mama, sew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Completely adorable! I am intriqued about the button hole elastic. Are you using the elastic for more than just it's elastic qualities? Did you alter the jeans in a way to allow the elastic to be "let out" as he grows? Thanks for showing off your cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great jeans. I have made that exact pattern for my two yr old girl and I haven't finished it because I didn't add a seam allowance and it was a bit tight on her. Needless to say I was dumbfounded about the zipper and extra bits too but I did make the flyshield for some stupid reason. Thanks for sharing. I'll be making one for my 1yr old wombat now that I can cheat! Toby is so cute and yes, they grow up so fast! He is so squishy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. o my god! These are so cute. I love them, and you've done such a great job. Sometimes its good to have a little fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can sew, so why not use your skills to make a great pair of jeans for your boy! You will find them hard-wearing while he is able to fit them and he looks great in them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are great and he is sooo ridiculously cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes they are ridulous, but too too cute to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG that is so cute. And I don't even go gaga over babies

    ReplyDelete