now for something completely new.....

Tuesday 13 October 2009
Yes, you read that correctly - I have made something entirely new and not a finally finished UFO either mine or inherited. A few weeks back we had some extremely hot weather, which although it has now disappeared and it's actually rather chilly for early spring I thought it was about time I started making some smart casual clothes for summer.

Going through my wardrobe I realised the majority of my clothes are quite dressy, or they are really manky not fit to be seen outside in. So to fill the hole, I turned to trusty BWOF and have traced off some skirts, tops as well as the bermuda shorts from the 6/09 issue (view 120b).

I even made my version in red linen like the photo in the magazine, although mine don't look quite nearly as sexy as the model:
Even though I usually wear knee length shorts, I thought baggy, paper bag waist style shorts to the knees might look like they belong only on a golf course. So I made these according to the pattern but to my surprise they didn't turn out as short as I thought, in fact they are a good in between length.
I did leave out the in seam pockets though, same reason as usual - trying to avoid extra bulk in my widest spot. These days I'm always carrying around a bag, and it's not like I can fit all that I carry in my pockets any more. I also left off the belt loops purely because I was too lazy to turn another linen tube after doing those tabs.

Speaking of the pull tabs, I didn't have any buckles so I used d-rings instead. I couldn't work out why the tabs turned out a bit too short and are only just long enough to put through the rings, until I realised I made the front tabs from the underlap piece that was supposed to be used for the zipper, and not the pieces I cut out for the tabs! So they look a bit funny this short, and I am considering taking them off and re-doing them (although I probably will procrastinate on that until next year).

I used the Sandra Betzina tutorial over at the Threads website for my zipper and ignored the BWOF instructions all together. In fact I only glanced over the BWOF instructions which might explain why these were so easy to sew. Although it would have been helpful to look at the instructions before sewing the darts and pleats, because those tabs get inserted into the folds of the darts on the back and the front pleats, and I had to unpick mine to put them in!

All in all I'm pretty happy with these, they will look pretty spiffy when I'm out walking with the pram or at play group chasing Anna around who is just itching to crawl once she learns to move her hands and her knees at the same time. In fact I can see another version, perhaps in a stripey seersucker fabric? Hmmm, I shall have to consult the stash........

Oh and thanks to the lovely Teresa/MarieSews for bestowing the Blog De Oro award upon me! I am supposed to pass it on to 10 other bloggers, but seriously with 336 blogs earmarked in my favourites list it's way too hard! Just consider yourself fabulous if you're a blogger

14 comments:

  1. they are totally gorgeous and you look great. My first thought was the same as yours re the final length when I saw them in the magazine, therby consigning them in the "never to be made in this lifetime" category ....but they are a very flattering final length (on you - on me, they still belong in the "never to be made in this lifetime" category)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! I thought I'd gone off shorts, but I may have to reconsider after seeing these. Chic mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristy that tutorial on inserting a fly front zipper was a revelation! Are there more of these. My sewing machine is being serviced otherwise I'd go upstairs and try it straight away. Also, are you interested in a tailoring course in Sydney? contact me through my website if you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also just made these up minus the cuff. I was very happy with the BWOF instructions for the sideseam pockets but the zipper instructions were a nightmare - thought I would follow them as I was so impressed with the pockets method however soon unpicked and went back to my own TNT method. I agree you need to follow the dart instructions carefully or the side tabs etc will be a problem. I also added a bit of elastic underneath the tab sides - just did a casing. Yours look great and I'm sure you will be wearing them frequently during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice. They look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are lovely , they really do flatter you alot. I love the colour you've made a great choice .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! I especially love it paired with the b&w stripey top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look adorable in your new shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the shorts! And they're sooo flattering on you - nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great pair of shorts and perfect for your life now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are great. I've been toying with the idea of making these as well, so I'm glad to see them made up on a real person. It's a really flattering style and the colour looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute shorts... my friend puts the pockets on but just sews them shut... so she still gets the effect but it doesn't draw attention cause they don't "gap" and she isn't tempted to put anything into them!
    Watch out... as soon as Anna gets "mobile" your in for a run for your money... you'll be surprised how many more things that she gets into and finds for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't checked into your blog in a while. You look FANTASTIC! The shorts are great too but you bounced back into shape quickly. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete